Here are the five pieces of work that came out of this week that I would consider successes.
- Air Hockey Painting
This piece was a lot of fun to make. The first thing I did was make my own air hockey paddles out of cardboard, paper, and tape. I painted these and also made a puck out of tape and cardboard. To make these objects, I cut four pieces of cardboard into circles to be the base of the paddles. To make the edges, I cut a long strip of cardboard and wrapped it around the base and connected them with tape. To make the handle, I took a piece of paper and wadded it up and shaped it once I taped around the whole thing. After I attached the handle to the middle of the base, I painted them to make them look a little nicer.
Once they were dry, I placed paint on the bottoms of all three objects and asked my friend to “play” air hockey with me. We swiped the puck back and forth, making the paint move in the motions as though it would if we were actually on a table. As the paint on the bottoms of the objects dried up or was spread out on the cardboard, we reapplied different colors to add layers of color. We only changed the colors on the paddles though, we kept the puck’s paint color the same throughout in an attempt to show where it moved throughout the duration of making the piece.
I believe that the outcome of this piece definitely tells the story of the most memorable things I did in the performance piece. I really think that the movement of the strokes that the paddles made show exactly how the movements at an actual air hockey table. This piece contains many of the prompts that were given. These include: multiple medias, collaboration, mapping (showing the movements the paddles and puck makes with paint), and use of the body.
With this piece, I asked my friend who isn’t a part of my group to come to Powell and put collages together with me. These collages we came up with contained different sketches that I drew when thinking about and watching over again our performance piece. They also include pamphlets and small flyers I found only in the area of which we filmed the performance.
To do these pieces, I laid my vest out and we arranged the sketches and pamphlets around in different ways. After each different arrangement, I took a picture of it so that I could evaluate later which arrangement I liked the most. I didn’t know if I would like any of them, since we weren’t really thinking about it in a serious way. As it turns out, I really liked one of the arrangements so much that I am considering it another success of my pieces.
I like the outcome of how this video came out. I think that with the sketches in combination with the pamphlets really do tell the story of the area we did the performance in. It emits not only pieces of the actual performance, but also the setting in which it takes place. This piece also includes many prompts given including: on site to an audience, time-based media, multiple medias, collaboration, found objects, and mapping.
This arrangement was my favorite of the one’s came up with in the video above. I liked it more than the others because I liked how it fit the shape of the vest so well and it seemed very balanced. I found it very interesting that without even trying to think about balance when we were putting this together, it definitely has a symmetry about it in its shape more than the others did.
To keep this arrangement, I decided to staple them together. I decided to do this because I like the space that is in between them when they are laid out and wanted to keep that as best as I could.
I think the objects in this piece tell the setting of the story very well. The objects I chose are typical things you would find in Powell, and the sketches show small parts of the surroundings I remembered while filming the performance. This piece includes the following prompts: on site to an audience, multiple medias, collaboration, found objects, and micro views (sketches show single moments in time).
This is the video of the process of making the air hockey piece. I think this is a success because it quite literally shows what it looked like in the performance when I was playing air hockey on the table in the lounge of Powell. If not for the paint, this would look exactly like how it was in the performance – playing “air hockey” on a normal table.
I think the process of this piece was very interesting and ended up being a lot of fun. When editing this video, I first removed the parts where we were reapplying the paint to the bottoms of the paddles and puck. When I watched the film over without that, it seemed like it was missing something. That is when I knew that the fact of more paint colors and reapplying the paint itself was just as important as the actual making of the piece.
I really enjoy this video and believe it was definitely a success. It shows exactly one of the actions I participated in throughout the duration of the performance piece and records that in a fun and unique way. The prompts seen in this piece include: time based media, multiple medias, collaboration, mapping, and use of the body.
When reading over the script, one word almost all of us wrote was “confusion.” I realized that confusion was a running theme all of us felt because of the fact that we couldn’t communicate in ways that we were used to.
I wrote this while in Powell, and it wasn’t until I was writing it down that I thought about what the people walking through the building must’ve felt when they saw us filming our performance. I realized that the group of us definitely weren’t the only ones who were confused, that everyone who saw us creating this performance piece must’ve been confused too.
I would consider this a success because it captures the feelings we as a group had while we were creating the piece, and I don’t think my other “successes” emit so much feeling. This piece has the following prompts within it: one media, silence, and language.